________________________________________________________________________

Well hello there! This is the place where I share my crafts, recipes, knitting and crochet projects, photos, and moments of family life in the Midwest.
________________________________________________________________________

Sunday, September 01, 2013

Shibori

Shibori is the Japanese art of tie dying. I have been wanting to do this craft for a super long time and this summer seemed like the right time to do it. I gathered quite a bit of materials for this project. I bought cotton pillow cases and sheet sets, string and thread, RIT denim dye (I couldn't find any true indigo in our stores here....), a large PVC tube, and rubber bands. I also used beads which I'll explain later in this post.
The most complicated method I did was the thread wrapping called Kanoko shibori. First I drew the pattern lightly in pencil on the pillow case. I did a very simple diamond pattern so that it would be easy to follow.
Then following the lines I placed a bead and wrapped thread around the base a few times. I did not tie the thread as you need to unbind the beads after dying. 
The finished pillow case looks like the picture below. This took about 3 hours to complete, but it was worth it.
I also did Itajime shibori which is tightly bound cloth, Arashi shibori which is wrapped around a tube and tied, and Kumo shibori which is where you fold and press the cloth into triangles.
To dye the fabric I uses 3 gallons of hot water (as hot as I could stand with my hands) plus 2 cups of salt and of course one bottle of Rite Dye. Some of the fabric I placed in the dye bath and some I just dipped and held to have the dye only stain part of the fabric fold.

I love the way it turned out. The Kanoko shibori technique is my favorite and took the most work. I would like to try true indigo dye some day, but these are still very cool and the boys love their new sheets. 

1 comment:

  1. love this indigo dye tutorial. Can i get your authorization to re-post it on our page ?

    ReplyDelete

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ We Love Comments /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips